This policy is determined by the Elders. It outlines the requirements for staff and leaders in relation to the collection and use of personal information we obtain as a result of pastoral care within the church and our ministries into the community. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that we uphold the trust people place in us when they provide us with their personal information.
This policy will be made available to any person requesting a copy.
The database software we use to record people’s personal details and disseminate information
· When we collect personal information, we will ensure that we do so lawfully and in a fair manner. We will only collect information that is necessary for conducting our activities.
· We use personal information to provide pastoral care, to administer an individual’s relationship with Portlife Church and to provide individuals with information on Church events and ministries. Without personal information details, Portlife Church may not be able to interact with an individual or provide ministry opportunities in a meaningful way.
· We will advise all individuals of the purposes for which their personal information is collected, and of those third parties to whom the information is usually disclosed.
· Whenever we collect personal information from third parties concerning an individual, we will take reasonable steps to advise that individual that we have the personal information, the reasons why we have it, and how the individual may gain access to it.
Personal Information will only be used:
· For the purpose it was collected and for related purposes that the person would reasonably expect it to be used;
· Where consent is provided for the particular use;
· If we are required by law to disclose it; or
· For any other reasonable purpose as allowed or required by the Act;
Personal information is only generally made available to persons who are Elders, Staff or Ministry Leaders of Portlife Church and require the information for the purposes of care and ministry at Portlife Church. We will regularly provide Church Members and Attendees with the opportunity to update their details via Contact Detail Update forms.
Some personal information such as health and well-being details are sensitive. We will only collect sensitive information with the consent of the individual, for the purposes required by the activities of Portlife Church in the provision of health services (including counselling) or for other purposes allowed or required by the Act.
Portlife Church does not disclose this information without an individual’s consent.
Portlife is committed to online privacy. We have a public website at www.portlife.org.au which is available to anyone. Portlife collects personal information on its website when you fill out a form (e.g. when registering for an event). The information that we request is limited to what is needed to provide you with the service.
Personal information is maintained and stored securely and only accessible to relevant staff, Pastors, Elders and leaders in order for them to provide necessary and relevant care.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information collected from individuals is complete and up-to-date via Contact Detail Update forms.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access or disclosure. Portlife Church will destroy all personal information that is no longer needed.
Personal information we collect from individuals before and during counselling or pastoral care visits is kept confidential and secure at all times. Some of this information is sensitive information (see 3.3 above).
When a pastor or pastoral care giver is not using information files, they will be appropriately labelled and stored. On occasion, the personal information collected must be shared with third parties. For example, this personal information will be shared if:
· There is danger of harm being caused to the client or others
· Portlife Church is required by law to disclose the information
· There are matters of a serious moral nature that require the attention of senior leadership within Portlife Church.
We will provide people with reasonable access to their personal information collected by Portlife Church in the course of its dealings with the person. However, in certain circumstances we may deny access to this information to the extent that:
· Providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual
· Providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals
· Any other reason as consistent with the Act
In such a situation we will explain to the person the reason for denying such access.
Portlife Church will do everything it can do to respect the privacy of individuals and will only make an individual’s personal information available to those who have an absolute need permitted by privacy laws to provide a service to the individual.
The Church will keep and maintain a Register of Members, in which shall be entered the full name and date of acceptance of the name of each Member. The Incorporated Associations Act requires that the register shall be available for inspection free of charge by Members upon request at the address of Portlife Church.
Every 3 years, Portlife Church will review and revise this policy. When we do, we will also revise the “last updated" date at the top of the privacy statement. For material changes to this statement, Portlife Church will notify you by placing a prominent notice on our website.
If you would like further information about the way Portlife Church manages the personal information it holds OR would like access to your personal information held by Portlife Church please contact our Privacy Officer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by postal mail:
Privacy & Compliance Officer
1 Causeway Road
New Port, S.A 5015
Phone: (08) 8341 5099